Strawberry Roll-up Scones
This is one of my favorite things to make Bryan on the morning of Valentines day. Even if you're not a fan of this holiday, get all your friends together and throw a boozy brunch and make these! I wish I could type more about how much I love Valentines day and what our plans are, but my wrist is killing me from my recent surgery and I have to save my energy for typing out the recipe for you guys!
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 7 tablespoon cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- Put your strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle in 1/4 cup sugar, zest of one lemon, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and grease 8 inch round baking pan with some butter
- Sift together your flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar over a large bowl. Combine this mixture with the remaining zest and cubes of butter. mix the butter into the flour with your hands until you get a coarse crumb.
- Add in your buttermilk and mix until your batter just comes together. Try not to over mix
- On a lightly floured surface, form a square about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle half of the marinated strawberries over your dough, spreading them so that there's one layer of berries. Leave a 1 inch wide strip bare at one edge. Starting from the opposite edge, roll up the dough
- Cut the roll into 6-7 pieces and place upright on baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve with whipped cream!