Strawberry Rolls with Lemon Glaze
I'm back! Between traveling and starting a new job, it's been a hectic month. I went to Croatia with my mom for her 60th birthday and am already planing my trip back. It was one of the most beautiful countries I visited and the seafood was phenomenal. We ate our weight in food for two straight weeks, which is why I put a stop to baking for awhile. Now that i'm back on track, let the baking commence!
These strawberry roles use the same dough from my cinnamon roll recipe, but filled with freeze dried strawberries and sugar. I've tried this recipe with fresh strawberries, but the dough ends up getting soggy. You can go also use a classic cream cheese glaze for this, but I prefer a lemon glaze with my strawberry desserts!
These are the BEST cinnamon rolls, ever! Every person that tries these thinks they are irresistible. You can even make these the night before and bake them in the morning so they are hot and fresh for breakfast. Just prepare them to the point where they are cut and on your sheet pan. Stick them in the fridge overnight and before you bake them in the morning, leave them out on the counter at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 oz bag freeze dried strawberries
- 6 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- Dissolve your yeast in the warm milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar in your stand mixer bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes for yeast to activate.
- Add in remaining 1 cup sugar, softened butter, eggs, and flour
- With your hook attachment, mix for 5 minutes on medium speed
- Remove your dough from your mixing bowl and knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for another 3 minutes
- Place your dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm place for about an hour and half or until it doubles in size.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle on a clean surface until it's approximately 20 inches long by 15 inches wide. It should be no thicker than 1/4 inch.
- To make filling, combine sugar and freeze dried strawberries in a food processor. Pulse until the strawberries become as fine as the sugar.
- Spread the softened butter over the surface of the dough, then sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over the butter. Place chopped strawberries evenly over your sugar mixture.
- From the long edge, roll the dough until you have one long log
- Cut the dough into 1 1/2 inch slices and place on a lightly greased baking pan
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Cover the pan with a towel and let rise for the second time for another 30 minutes
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- While they bake, make the icing. Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Once you remove the buns from the oven, let sit for 10 minutes before drizzling with icing.