Orange Glazed Strawberry Scones
Mothers day is tomorrow and what better way to celebrate your mom than with these orange glazed strawberry scones? My siblings and I have been making my mom breakfast in bed since we were little kids and we've kept the tradition alive for all these years. Now that we're, older, we can make food she actually enjoys instead of her pretending like our overcooked scrambled eggs were the "best eggs ever".
The thing you might not realize about scones is that they take no more than 10 minutes to make and 15 minutes to bake. You can have fresh hot scones straight from the oven in no time and your mom will be so impressed that you made these for her! Lets be real, what mom doesn't love scones?
My mom is my very best friend and she's one of the most amazing people I know. Everything i've ever learned has been from her and I am so grateful for all that she does for me. She is so loving and supportive of our family and I wish I could give the world to her!
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 large orange
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Juice and zest of one orange
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest in a bowl and whisk together
- Cut up your cold butter into small pieces (reference the photo above for size)
- Add cold butter and work into the flour mixture until the biggest pieces are the size of small peas with your fingertips. It's important that you move fast and make sure your butter doesn't melt. The cold butter is what makes your scones flaky!
- Stir in strawberries, then milk, mixing until large clumps form
- Use your hands to finish mixing the dough into one mass. Only knead a few times!
- Transfer dough to a floured counter and pat into a 1 inch tall circle
- Cut the circle into 8 wedges
- Transfer the wedges onto your prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes
- While baking, make the glaze by combining the orange zest, orange juice, and confectioners sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- Let scones rest for 10 minutes before you spoon the glaze onto the scones