Plum Squares with Almond Crumble
Confession - I can probably eat a whole block of almond paste by itself. I love it that much. It goes so well with fruity desserts and so easy to incorporate in things.
I've been baking with all the fruits our trees are producing, which is why I made these plum squares. I don't usually bake with plums, but now i'm obsessed. Our plums are naturally really sweet, so I didn't have to sweeten them too much, but feel free to add more sugar if yours are tart.
I made this dessert specifically for my dad because 1. He's obsessed with fruity desserts 2. He only likes desserts with nuts and 3. I've been testing a lot of delicious recipes that he doesn't find satisfying because they don't have requirements 1 and 2 in them. This one checks everything off the list, so he was one happy man!
Receipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 8 oz almond paste
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup sliced, toasted almond
- 1 pound of plums, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut one 12-inch piece of parchment paper and trim it to fit a 8-inch width of an 8×8-inch square baking pan. Press it into the bottom and sides of your pan. This is going to make it very easy to remove the bars.
- Make the crust by combining the almonds, flour, salt, sugar and extract in the food processor. Cut the butter into chunks, and add it in, then run the machine until the mixture forms large clumps. It will take about 30 seconds for it to come together
- Transfer the dough to your baking pan and press it evenly across the bottom and 1/4-inch up the sides. Bake for 12 minutes, until very pale golden. Transfer to a cooling rack in your freezer for 10 to 15 minutes while you prepare the filing.
- For the crumble, blend flour, almond paste, sugar and salt in processor until almond paste is finely ground. Add butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Transfer crumble to bowl and mix in almonds.
- Make the filling by combining all ingredients in medium bowl.
- To assemble squares, sprinkle 1/3 prepared crumble over cooled crust. Top with plum mixture. Sprinkle with remaining crumble.
- Bake until the top is golden, about 35 to 40 minutes. If the bars brown too quickly, cover them with foil for the remaining baking time. Cool in pan.