Does anyone else think about what you want for breakfast before you fall asleep at night? Scratch that. Does anyone else think about breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Last night I went to bed wanting a Dutch baby so bad. My husband woke me up this morning and it was the first thing I said to him. He was really confused because he's apparently never had a Dutch baby and he thought I literally wanted a Dutch baby. Neither of us or Dutch, so he was a bit shocked. I think it's best if I call it a German pancake from here on it just to avoid any confusion.
A German pancake is a lot easier to make than normal pancake. You can easily feed 2-3 people with this recipe depending on how hungry everyone is. It's basically a hybrid of a crepe, popover, and a pancake. You take all the ingredients and mix it in a blender and bake it up in a cast iron pan. The sides puff out of the pan leaving you a big crater to put anything you want in the middle.
This recipe creates a slightly sweet Dutch baby and can be served with fresh fruit, maple syrup, and powdered sugar. If you want to make a savory Dutch baby, omit the sugar from the recipe and mix in fresh herbs after everything is blended, such as basil, thyme, or chives. You can also add broccoli rabe, scallions, or cheese on top of the batter after you pour it into your cast iron pan.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoon butter, divided
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Mixed berries, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F
- Melt 2 tablespoon of butter in a microwave safe bowl
- In a blender, combine milk, flour, eggs, salt, sugar, and 2 tbsp melted butter. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute
- Place the other 2 tbsp butter in a 10 inch cast iron pan and place in the oven. As soon as the butter melts (make sure it doesn't burn) remove the pan from the oven and pour in the batter. Return the pan back to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Whatever you do, don't open the oven door until the 15 minute mark or your Dutch baby might deflate.
- Remove pancake from the oven and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with fresh berries and maple syrup.