Coconut Chicken Curry
It's Friday night and I have a freezer full of naan that will go great with this curry recipe. This is a one pot meal that you'll want to make over and over again!
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 pounds bone in chicken (I use thighs and drumsticks)
- 4-5 cups water (just enough to submerge the chicken completely)
- 1 13.5oz can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Juice of one lemon
- finely chop and sauté your onion with some olive oil in a large pot until lightly browned. This takes about 7 minutes.
- Put your garlic through a garlic press or finely chop it. Add it to the onions and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and pour in the water, so that your chicken is completely submerged.
- Add in coconut milk, curry powder, and salt
- Put a lid on your pot and let it simmer on medium to high heat for 40-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. If the liquid has reduced too much, add in more water or more coconut milk. I sometimes like to use two cans of coconut milk!
- After 40 minutes of simmering, add in the tomato paste and lemon juice. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes, uncovered.
- Serve on top of rice or with some naan!