It's National Waffle Day... or at least I'm told it is! I enjoy these fake holidays because it's just another reason for me to eat something horribly bad for me. I've even considered marking my calendar with all these "national holidays" that have to do with food, just so I wouldn't miss out on these wonderful opportunities.
I don't know if anyone else equally loves pancakes and waffles as much as I do, but I consider it a internal conflict when I wake up on Sunday mornings and have to decide between the two. For the longest time, I would always make pancakes because I was never 100% satisfied with my waffle making skills, until this recipe. The secret ingredient is Corn Starch! Who would have known?! It makes it so crispy and perfectly brown!
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix the batter!
- Brush some canola oil onto your hot waffle iron. It's very important that your waffle iron is very hot before you pour your batter into it
- Ladle the batter onto the waffle iron and follow directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles.