- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp coconut oil or canola oil
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp superfine sugar
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp homemade nutella
- For the Nutella, grind hazelnuts into a fine powder in your food processor. This will take 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the unsweetened cocoa powder, confectioners sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Grind for another 2 minutes into a dark brown paste
- While your food processor is on, pour in about 6 tbsp oil through the feeding tube. Mix until everything is combined.
- Preheat your oven to 215 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- In your stand mixer bowl with your whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until stiff and frothy. Add in your cream of tarter and whisk for another minute.
- Add in the super fine sugar half a cup at a time, whisking on medium to high speed for 2 minutes in-between each pour. Whisk until thick peaks form and the mixture is glossy
- With a spatula, fold in the sifted confectioners sugar in 3 additions. Add in 2 tablespoon of the homemade nutella and fold the mixture a couple more times, so the nutella is streaked in the batter.
- Fill up a pastry bag or a large ziploc bag with the tip cut off with the batter. Shape in small dollops about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets
- Bake for 60 minutes and let them cool completely.
- Apply a dab of filling onto the bottom of 1 meringue, then press on a second meringue.