Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Summer has come to an end, which means all the lemons on my tree are disappearing. I'm a huge fan of lemon desserts and thought I would end the lemon season with this super light and moist lemon cake.
- 1 and 3/4 sticks of butter at room temperature, plus extra for the pan
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place rack just below the center o the oven. Grease a bundt pan with some butter.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar until it's creamy and soft.
- One by One, beat in the 2 eggs until they are fully incorporated
- Add the vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and poppy seeds. Mix thoroughly.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and mix until just combined
- in a perfectly clean bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites until they are stiff. They should be stiff enough where if you turned the bowl upside down, nothing falls out of it.
- Carefully fold half of the egg whites into the batter. After that has been incorporated, you can fold in the rest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a rack to cool further
- Make the lemon glaze by mixing the lemon juice and confectioners sugar with a whisk
- Pour the glaze over the cake!