Sweet and Spicy Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Puff Pastry
Yay for Friday and double yay for national bacon day! I actually didn't know it was national bacon day until I checked my phone and saw that my husband texted me about it with excitement. This was definitely a hint that he wants me to make something with bacon tonight.
Our Friday nights usually consist of opening a bottle of wine and eating cheese and crackers for dinner. I try my best not to make plans on Fridays, so we can spend the night relaxing together after a long week of working. I thought it would be a good idea to mix in bacon tonight with these Bacon wrapped puff pastry straws. I thought about putting whole jalapeños in there, but realized I have this delicious jalapeño chutney I could use. If you don't want to use this, you can use your favorite jam or preserves. I just really like the flavors of the sweet and spicy chutney mixed with the cheese, and brown sugar glazed bacon.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 1 cup jalapeño chutney (or your favorite fruit jam)
- cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used a mix of cheddar and jack cheese)\
- 20-25 strips of bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil and set a baking rack on the baking sheet. Spray the rack with cooking spray, so the puff pastry doesn't stick
- Open one sheet of puff pastry and spread your jalapeño chutney all over the dough. Sprinkle the entire surface with your shredded cheese. Lightly flour your rolling pin and roll the rolling pin over the cheese to gently press the cheese into the puff pastry
- fold your puff pastry dough in half and cut it into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Pinch both side of your strips together so the ends are sealed then twist each strip several times
- Take a piece of bacon and wrap it around each strip and place it on your baking sheet. Repeat this with all strips until everything has been used
- Pour your brown sugar into a shallow bowl and take each bacon wrapped puff pastry and gently dip it in the brown sugar until it's coated. Place it back on the baking sheet and repeat this with each one
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bacon is cooked. I check on them every 5-10 minutes to make sure they aren't burning. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan.