Caramelized Onion and Maple Glazed Bacon Grilled Cheese
You know that beer bread I made yesterday? I got home from work and it looked so pathetic just sitting on the counter. I decided to put it to good use and made the BEST grilled cheese in the world. It has caramelized onions, dijon sauce, maple and whiskey glazed bacon, gouda, and cheddar.
I had so much leftover cheese from this weekend from wine tasting. Grilled cheese is our go to dinner when we have nothing else in the fridge. I will put whatever cheese I have into a grilled cheese. I'm even guilty of putting 5 different cheeses in one sandwich. I have a major cheese obsession and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm that person that orders extra cheese on everything!
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 Tablespoon Whiskey
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 6 Tablespoon butter
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoon Mayo
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- Double Cream Gouda
- Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and place a rack on the lined baking sheet.
- Mix together brown sugar, whiskey, and maple syrup. Dip bacon in the mixture and arrange bacon slices in single layer on the rack. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the bacon is in the oven, thinly slice your onion and sauté with 4 tablespoon of butter on low-medium heat until onions caramelize.
- Mix together Dijon mustard and Mayo. Spread a thin layer of the Dijon sauce on one side of the bread
- Place caramelized onions, cheese, then bacon on the other slice of bread and top the sandwich with your dijon sauce slice.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoon of butter in your pan and place your sandwich in the skillet over low-medium heat. Press down firmly with a spatula or heavy object to help brown the bread and melt the cheese. Cook on one side for about 3 minutes, flip and do the same on the other side.