Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Pop Tarts with Maple Icing
It's always tough to feed a large group of people breakfast when you have so many other things to worry about during the holidays. When families get together, it should be about spending time together instead of stressing about what to make for each meal and cleaning up for hours. I'm all about make ahead breakfasts. These pop tarts will be a huge with the kids and adults!
- 1 1/2 sticks cold butter
- 1/3 cup cold shortening
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- egg wash: 1 large egg mixed with 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In your food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar and give it a quick pulse to mix it up
- Add in your cold butter and cold shortening and pulse about 10 times or until the butter is in pea size pieces
- Add the cold water down the feed tube while your food processor is on until your dough comes together
- Dump onto a floured surface and form 2 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into a large ziploc bag or wrap with plastic wrap. Using your hands, slightly flatten each ball of dough to make rolling easier later
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until dough is cold
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a bowl and put aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together your egg and 1 tablespoon of milk
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into 1/8 inch thickness. Cut the dough into rectangles roughly about 6x4 inches. Place all the rectangles on your baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You may place them relatively close to one another, since they don't spread much.
- Take out your second ball of dough from the refrigerator and repeat the rolling and cutting process. These will be the tops of your pop tarts.
- Brush the egg wash on the bottoms of your pop tarts (the ones on the baking sheet)
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the cinnamon filling on each rectangle (bottoms), smoothing it out just before the edge of the dough. Place the second round of rectangles on top of the filling
- Use your fingertips to press firmly around the pocket of filling, sealing the dough well on all sides. Then go around each pop tart and seal the edges by crimping with a fork. Use a toothpick and poke about 5 holes in each to let steam escape while baking
- Bake for about 15 minutes and let cool at room temperature
- While your pop tarts are cooling, make the glaze by whisking together confectioners sugar, maple syrup, and milk. In a separate bowl, mix together your cinnamon and sugar for the topping. Spoon the icing onto the pop tarts and then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top. Let the pop tarts sit for another 10-15 minutes until the icing sets.