Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies with Eggnog Buttercream
It's finally socially acceptable to put up all my Christmas decorations and listen to Christmas music all day. I absolutely love this time of year for so many reasons, but mostly for all the baked goods and abundance of food. Bryan and I have this tradition of chopping down our tree every year, which sounds like more fun than it actually is. Probably because I am the most indecisive person on this planet and being at a tree farm with thousands of trees where I can only pick one is like a real life nightmare. It always starts out super exciting and then 30 minutes into it, Bryan is dragging his feet behind me as I nitpick at every tree. I will say that I am getting better every year! It's all about the progress, right?! :)
My mom and I always do a big cookie swap with the rest of the neighborhood during the holidays so I feel like I'm a master in the art of the holiday cookies. I've gotten pretty creative over the years, but I still love all the classic cookies. This cookie is a twist on the classic gingerbread cookie. I'm not that into crunchy cookies, so I made this one chewy and then decided to sandwich it between some eggnog buttercream. If Christmas were a flavor, this would be it.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 3 tablespoon eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5-7 cups powdered sugar
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer bowl, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add in the egg and molasses, and beat on medium speed until combined
- add in the dry ingredients and beat until combined
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour or until it's chilled
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Fill a small bowl with some sugar
- Roll the dough into small balls about 1 inch in diameter and roll each ball in the sugar until it's completely coated.
- Place on cookie sheet at least 1 inch apart and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies begin to slightly crack on top
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire racks to cool completely
- While cookies are cooling, make the buttercream
- In your stand mixer bowl with your paddle attachment, beat the butter until it is fluffy on medium speed. About 3 minutes.
- Add in vanilla, nutmeg, and powdered sugar. Mix until everything is combined.
- On low-medium speed, add in the eggnog. The buttercream should be a bit on the thicker side.
- Pour your buttercream in a piping bag or a gallon size ziploc bag with the corner cut off and pipe about a tablespoon of buttercream over half of the cooled cookies, then top with remaining cookies. Alternately, you can spread the buttercream with a knife.